No one expects to be hurt at work. The problem is that many people are. In 2013, there were 327,060 injuries at work that included strains, sprains and muscle tears. There were also at least 229,190 injuries from trips, slips and falls. These resulted in 170,450 back injuries. Workers compensation exists to help people hurt at work. It covers 100% of medical costs and even provides money for living expenses. It is not always as easy to get these benefits, that is why workers compensation lawyers exist at all. If you have been hurt at work, you may not know where to turn.
How to Find the Best Workers Compensation Attorney:
- Talk to your friends, family and coworkers. Hands down, the best way to find quality goods and services is to get a personal referral. Given the number of injuries in the workplace, there is a good chance that you know someone who has had to talk to workers compensation lawyers or knows someone who has. Ask about how they found the workers compensation law firm, what the experience of working with them was like and how they found them. You may not even up going with the same person or firm but this can help get you started on your search.
- Talk to the local bar association. The state and/or local bar association should have a list of workers compensation lawyers in your area with whom you can talk about your case. They may have more information, different lawyers handle different kinds of cases, about the different workers compensation lawyers in the area than just their contact information.
- Just do a Google search and check Facebook. You can find workers compensation lawyers in your area by conducting a simple Google search. Also, many localities and cities have Facebook groups and pages set up to promote local goods and services so you should see if that is the case in your area. If no one has listed a local workers compensation lawyer, ask about it. You should get some leads here. Sites like Yelp and Angie’s List also have listings for all sorts of things, including workers compensation lawyers.
- Take advantage of the free consultation. Most law firms offer free first consultations for prospective clients. You should take advantage of this service. This gives them a chance to get to evaluate your workers compensation claim and for you to ask them all of your questions. Take your time. Make sure they take the time to answer all of your questions. If they do not have the time to answer your questions before you are a client, you can bet they will not have that time after they have taken your case.
- Get the right kind of lawyer. Just like doctors, lawyers specialize. The great lawyer who handled your cousin’s divorce is not the person who should handle your workers compensation case. Even under the umbrella of workers compensation law, there are sub-specialities. You need to get a lawyer who has experience dealing with your kind of case. Ask how much experience they have and how much of their practice is devoted to that.
- Talk to several workers compensation lawyers. It may be tempting to go with the first workers compensation law firm that you talk to but that is a mistake. This is an important decision that needs to be considered carefully. Talk to a few workers compensation lawyers and see what each has to say about your specific case.
- Ask about the fee schedule. Some lawyers only take compensation for their fees if they win, others expect payment either way. Some want their payment up front and some let you pay over time. Make sure you know what the fee includes. They may have to do some research, ask if that is included in the fee. You need to make sure you are completely clear on the billing policies of the law firm that you plan to hire.
Dealing with the workers compensation process can be long and complicated. Finding the right workers compensation law firm can make all the difference in the world. They will explain the process and get you the best outcome and the benefits you deserve.