Dealing with divorce can be a very difficult time. You have to deal with logistics like hiring a divorce lawyer and separating assets but the harder part may be dealing with the emotional side of it. You may find yourself fully able to speak with your divorce attorney but when you are alone at night you find yourself questioning why you were going through with this. Having your family lawyer close by can help you very much. Your tips for dealing with divorce.
- Pay special attention to your emotional needs. This could mean finding a support group to talk to you or a therapist. Talk therapy can really help you when you’re feeling emotional. Think about a time where you had a problem or were angry about something and you decided to tell your best friend or someone about it; you probably felt much better after venting to a friend and maybe even figured out a solution without the friend saying anything. This is very similar to therapy except the person you’re talking to is qualified to give you advice.
- Don’t let yourself go physically. Divorce lawyers have said that it’s important to stay as active as you can and keep up on a regular exercise schedule. Studies show that physical activity can help relieve tension, anxiety, anger and other negative emotions. Our actions follow our emotions and if your body is feeling good through regular activity then your emotions will begin to follow soon enough. You will find that you feel your worst when you have stayed inside all day, in your pajamas, doing absolutely nothing.
- You have to remember that there are problems that are beyond your control. If you are faced with this, then you have to learn how to let it go. You can do this by staying focused on the things that you can control and making sure that those things are positive influence in your life. Don’t focus on an uncomfortable or painful situation that you cannot change, it will only make it worse and will possibly end up consuming you.
- Do things that you enjoy. If you like reading then read an old favorite or get a new one, get lots of rest and create new hobbies for yourself. Surrounding yourself with people that you enjoyed being with is a good idea. Don’t just hang out with your divorce lawyer. Knowing that you have people who love you and support you will help you to create your new lifestyle.
- Don’t be afraid to feel. Well you want to try and stay positive as much as possible there are going to be times when you don’t feel happy or upbeat. It is important not to suppress those feelings but there needs to be a balance. Do not allow negative feelings to make you seek revenge or engage in destructive behavior such as drinking alcohol or taking drugs. Find somewhere safe to vent these feelings until you feel ready to be positive again.
- Try not to make snap decisions. You heard it said that you shouldn’t make decisions when you’re feeling particularly emotional. This is very true and even if you don’t FEEL emotional, if your divorce is recent then chances are you might be making decisions based on your emotions. This can be detrimental so make sure you are properly thinking things through and taking your time to weigh out your options with a divorce lawyer.
- Have some fun. Remember the burden that you carried around that was your marriage. Do the things that you couldn’t do when you were married. If your spouse didn’t like to travel so you never got to go anywhere, take a vacation. Pick up a new hobby that you felt guilty engaging in because you felt like you should be focusing completely on your spouse.
- You may have had certain expectations about what life was going to be like, married or not married. Let go of those expectations now. The best way to live is not to expect anything to be one way or another. You will be easier pleased with life if you can take outcomes as they are and not as you think they should be. Life will feel like it is a lot more enjoyable as well.